Friday, June 29, 2012

Grilled Chicken Salad and the Hibachi

I visited one of my favorite stores the other day, Amazon, and came home with a new hibachi made by Lodge.  Well, anyone that knows Amazon knows I didn't really get up to go a store I did my shopping on my computer, which is my preferred way.  And with the Amazon Super Saver Shipping option the shipping is free, extra bonus, and I almost always have my order within 5 days.
The biggest decision I needed to make once the hibachi arrived was what was I going to cook on it?  One look in the frig answered that question, setting front and center were some boneless, skinless chicken breast. I like chicken breast as much as the next person but I think my favorite way to eat them is in salad.  Grilled chicken salad is a simple, fast way to a delicious weeknight meal.  Before grilling I normally use an old standby for seasoning the chicken breast, Emeril Essence Seasoning.  At one time it was available on store shelves but I have always made my own.  The Food Network website has the recipe available.  I make a couple of small changes to the recipe to suit my own taste, half the cayenne pepper and half the salt and if I think I need more cayenne pepper or salt I add it later.  

Since Lodge makes the hibachi it is made of cast iron and weighs in at a hefty 35 pounds.  It doesn't come with a lid so need to get used to grilling without a lid, flare ups are harder to control (although that's not a problem with the lean chicken breast).  
The best thing about making grilled chicken salad is you add whatever you like.  For this salad we had:
  • Leafy greens
  • Chopped carrots
  • Red Onion
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Portabella mushrooms
For the salad dressing we had some Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing in the frig which always seems to go good with the grilled chicken.

 Oh yeah, there's some good grub and like I said earlier, a simple, fast go to recipe for those busy week nights when you really don't feel like spending the entire night in the kitchen.

No comments: