Thursday, June 7, 2012

Bourbon, Sriracha Sauce and Barley Malt, What do These Things Have in Common?

So the new toy for the grill showed up at my door (the rotisserie attachment for those of you too lazy to check out my previous post) from Amazon a few days ago and the first decision to be made was what to cook? Yes, yes, we must figure out what to cook first.


For some reason my brain got on a pork roast track and wouldn't let go.  My fingers even typed out Rotisserie Pork Roast Recipes on my keyboard while on the internet before I realized what I was doing.  My grand plan was to cook barbecue chicken first, after all I got this need to have little sis tell me I finally matched Grandma Williams barbecue chicken, but like I said my brain kept saying PORK ROAST, PORK ROAST, PORK ROAST!!!!  OK, OK I get it, let's see what Google brought me on my search.  Well, well, the second search link Bourbon Rotisserie Pork Roast sounds interesting and simple ingredients.  


  • 1 5-6 pound boneless pork shoulder
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • Rub:
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
  • 2 teaspoons mustard seed
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • Mop:
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 small onion, pureed
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup (preferably dark)
  • 2 tablespoons brown mustard
Also, see that first ingredient listed under the mop recipe?  Bourbon?  That one got stuck in my brain too.  Now I got two things rattling around in my head, pork roast and bourbon, that's an awful lot for me to process at one time.  I decide to kill two birds with one stone and make this recipe I found, the barbecue chicken will have to wait for another day.

I'll admit, I didn't use the recipe above but I made one up along the same lines:
  • 1 5-6 pound boneless pork shoulder
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • Rub:
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons whole black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
  • Mop:
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sriracha chili sauce
  • 1/4 cup barley malt
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
I don't know why I like cooking with bourbon because I can't stand the taste.  I guess it's just like wine, again, I don't like the taste of it, no matter how expensive, but I like cooking with it.  Also, lately I've had sriracha sauce in the frig and I've substituted it for ketchup in different sauces and marinades.  I like the flavor and little bit of heat it brings.  The barley malt is from a pizza dough recipe (more on that in a later post) I've been making so I have been substituting that for sugar or honey in some recipes.  I roasted the pork roast for around 1-1/2 hours over my grill that started at 450 degrees and settled on 350 degrees after a 1/2 hour or so.  The mop was applied every 15 minutes after the initial 45 minutes of roasting.
Ahhh, the sweet, succulent taste of pork.  It's hard to beat a good pork roast and even harder to beat when spun on a rotisserie.  I think I'll keep this new toy and look for more rotisserie recipes. So to answer the question Bourbon, Sriracha Sauce and Barley Malt, what do these things have in common?  Why, obviously, pork roast and rotisseries.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks good!

carriegel said...

you won't believe this buy i have sriracha in my refrigerator. i'm bummed because all i can do is look at your recipes. we still don't have a grill!

Unknown said...

I thought sriracha was a basic staple. at least in this house.

Unknown said...

They sell grills everyday at Home Depot and Lowes, I don't think they have ran out yet and if they do I'm sure the factories will make one more for you.

megawatt miler said...

That looks awesome!