Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Barbecue Chicken Pizza Part Deux


If you read the last post you will know I made some barbecue chicken.  If you didn't read the last post go ahead and it now, don't worry I'll wait.......................................................Done? Okay let's roll.


For those people that know me you know there is only three in our household and most days or nights there are only two of us for dinner so you may be wondering "Why did he cook 2 chickens when there are only three people to feed?"

Well, the answer is simple, especially if you opened your eyes and saw the first photo, Barbecue Chicken Pizza.  If you have never tried a Barbecue Chicken Pizza it's definitely a must try.  I have made BBQ Chicken Pizza before using different ingredients and different ways of cooking.  Until recently, I have had limited success with pizza on the grill but I think I got it down now.  I have been fairly successful with thin crust pizza on the grill, in my opinion much easier to make than the traditional style, but I prefer the traditional style crust.  I was going to post the recipe for the pizza dough but I think I will save that for a post all by itself.  I will tell you this though, it is the best pizza crust I have found to date and this particular pizza crust was 50% white flour and 50% wheat flour.

As far as the ingredients go for the pizza itself it's fairly short list.  The cast of characters include: leftover bbq pizza from the Sunday cookout, red pepper, sweet onion, barbecue sauce, and some green onion because it was in the vegetable drawer and needed to be used.  Ingredients can vary and the only reason I used these particular ingredients is because I had them on hand.  Cheese can vary too with my normal favorite for bbq chicken pizza being asiago but since I used what I had in the frig I used baby swiss with a little pecorino and parmesean shredded on top.  If you notice the cheese didn't make the photo shoot because it's either A) To shy to show up and have its picture taken or B) The photographer forgot it, take your pick.

I like to saute the onions and red pepper on the stove top for a few minutes before putting them on the pizza.  I also throw a little fresh garlic in the pan at the end until fragrant.   

Building the pizza is easier than building a box out of Lego's, pizza dough, favorite barbecue sauce, cheese, red peppers and onions, chicken and more shredded cheese on top.  And oh yeah, don't forget the green onions I needed to use up from the veggie compartment in the frig.  Also, notice the pizza peel under the pizza, I was told you can't be a pizza pie maker if you don't have a pizza peel.  I'm not sure the pizza peel makes me any more of an expert but I'm sure it gets me a step closer.

I've tried all sorts of ways to cook pizza on the grill and here is the way the works the best for me.  I start with a chimney full of charcoal and after the coals are white I for a circle all around the outside of the grill.  I also put four or so hot coals in the middle of the grill so when the pizza stone is laid on the grill it helps to warm it up.  And speaking about warming up the pizza stone, that may be the most important step, making sure plenty of time is given to warm up the stone, at least 10 minutes or more.  I'll bet you noticed how much the grill and stone have been used.  Since I don't have a big budget for buying new grilling equipment for every show like the big boys on Food Network I must work with what I got.

Now that the grill and stone are ready all that's left to do is cook the pizza.
That looks good and we're just getting started.  After 12 to 15 minutes, depending how hot the grill gets, we can take a peek and see how things are going........ 
 Ohh, almost ready, only a couple more minutes.
 My, my, my, that looks good.  All that's left to do is let cool, slice, eat and enjoy.


No comments: