Saturday, November 7, 2009

Jock's Cranberry Glazed Chicken

Cranberry Glazed Chicken

This last week I made some cranberry glazed chicken for dinner and decided it looked so good I would post a picture on Facebook. Little did I know the Porcupine Press folks were watching and asked me for the recipe so they can put it in their Just Shut UP and Eat It section. I guess you can say this post is for the Porcupine Press people. Now I got something to look forward to every month when my UP Magazine arrives.

I will admit even though the recipe below calls for the chicken to be cooked on the grill I cooked this particular glazed chicken inside on my cast iron grill over the stove top. The recipe works well cooked both ways but it is hard to beat if you can cook it over real charcoal.

Another note to make is regarding Emeril's Essence, you can purchase it in the grocery store or make it yourself by going to the Food Network web site and getting the recipe. I make my own so I can control the amount of salt that goes into it. The other choice is to use whatever seasoning you like I just prefer Emeril's Essence.

Jock's Cranberry Glazed Chicken
(Click here if you want your own copy of this recipe.)

1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
1/3 cup chopped ginger
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup water
6 Chicken thighs
Canola oil
3 Tbs Emeril's Essence Seasoning
1 Cup Hickory Chips

Glaze:
Combine the cranberries, ginger, orange zest, sugar, orange juice, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, or until cranberries burst and sauce is very thick. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Use right away or store in the refrigerator for up to one (1) week. Reserve some cranberry glaze for the table.

Chicken:
Fire up the charcoal grill and once coals are ready arrange on ½ of the grill. Sprinkle the hickory chips on the hot coals and cover until smoke starts to develop.
Meanwhile remove chicken from refrigerator and pat dry. Coat lightly with canola oil and sprinkle liberally with Emeril's Essence. When the grill is ready place the chicken skin side down over the hot coals, with lid on, until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn over and repeat. After chicken is browned on both sides move over to the cooler side of the grill skin side up and glaze with cranberry glaze from above. Place lid back on grill and cook at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 170 degrees. With about 10 minutes left turn chicken over and glaze bottom side. With 5 minutes left turn chicken back over to skin side up and glaze one more time.

Serve with reserved cranberry glaze drizzled over top at the dinner table.

3 comments:

carriegel said...

How do you think this would work with cherries instead of cranberries?

Unknown said...

I don't know why not, I would be careful with the ginger because I don't know if it will go as good with cherries as it does with cranberries. I'll bet a quick search on the internet and you can find a recipe or idea how to do it. I have seen cherry flavored bbq sauce.

I have done peach flavored bbq sauce and it was good. I have also done a blood orange glaze that was good too. Maybe this spring when the blood oranges are in the store I will make that one again and post it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.