Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato, Not Just for Sandwiches Anymore


"Nothing burps better than bacon." - Dutch Dooley.

I couldn't agree more with Dutch and I think there is nothing better in this world than a good slab of bacon.  Bacon should have its own food group and I think Emeril was right, it would make a car bumper taste good.  And speaking of tasting good why is it that everything that taste good isn't good for you?  I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

My favorite sandwich since I was knee high to a grasshopper is the bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.  I love the smokey flavor of the bacon along with the crunch from crispy bacon that's just been cooked and for some reason it just seems to go with a big, cold slice of tomato and crispy piece of lettuce.  I don't know who invented the BLT sandwich but they sure hit a winner.  

Lately, I've been into making pizza, all kinds of pizza.  Since it can be hard to find good pizza these days, more and more I make my own.  Making pizza isn't difficult, the pizza dough is probably the toughest part and even that isn't too tough.  And once the pizza dough is ready it's as easy as piling on your favorite toppings.  Today my toppings are bacon, lettuce and tomato for a BLT pizza.

There are several recipes available on the net for BLT recipes but the BLT pizza recipe I chose is the one my daughter posted a few months back for our weekly family dinner recipes.  I made some slight tweaks, after all recipes are only guidelines, to the original recipe but the outcome is the same.  I used asiago cheese instead of mozzarella and mixed greens for the lettuce, all because it's what I had in the frig that needed to be used up.  

A few weeks back a guy told me if you are going to be a true pizza pie maker make sure you use a pizza peel.  It's a good thing I happen to have own one but I'm not sure it helps to make a better pizza.  

My choice of cooking vessels, especially this time of year, is my trusty grill.  Since I prefer the traditional style pizza I try to have a grill temperature around 400 degrees.  I think the lower temperatures helps to cook the crust throughout before the outside crust burns.   When I make a thin crust pizza I try to get the grill as hot as possible.  The grill also gives a flavor that can't be matched in a conventional oven.  

As you can see from the photo below I also used whatever tomatoes we had available.  
I really do use the pizza peel.
 Now that's good grub and remember what Dutch said, "Nothing burps better than bacon."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your improvements. (Joni)