Monday, November 30, 2009

Scallops with Garlic Basil Linguine


Yippie kay yay the wife is gone and it is time for some seafood, well not yippie kay yay the wife is gone but YIPPE KAY YAY it's time for seafood.  It is a tough call which I like better shrimp or scallops, probably comes down to what day you ask me, some days I will pick shrimp and others scallops. 

When I lived in Wisconsin, or for the matter Michigan, fresh seafood was hard to come by.  There was a good seafood market in Sheboygan but they certainly didn't have the choices we have here in Maryland.  Here in Maryland I have choices, I can go to the Maine Avenue Fish Market in D.C or one of the local Whole Foods Markets.  The Whole Food Market is easier but if given the chance I go to the Maine Avenue Fish Market. 

This episode starts off with very few and simple cast of characters.

I chose the garlic basil linguine for this meal because 1) when I saw it at Trader Joe's a week a go it looked good and 2) it was already in my refrigerator (yes we keep our pasta in the refrigerator and don't ask me why because I can't tell you). 

We start by browning the scallops in the olive oil and butter.  To get the tasty caramelizing on the scallops make sure you dry them off before you put them in the pan because if you don't all they will do is steam.


Once the scallops have the wonderful caramelizing on them it's time to remove them from the pan and deglaze the pan with a little white wine.  I'll be honest here and tell you I am not a wine drinker, if fact I can't stand the taste of the stuff but I do like cooking with it.  Tonight was a special because I got to open a new bottle of wine.  I use the wine to clean all those delicious brown bits of goodness off the bottom of the pan so you can pour it over the top of the scallops and finish them off with style.


Not only are scallops my favorite seafood item (at least for today)  I think they are my favorite type of food period.  The scallops have succulent sweet flavor unlike anything else you have ever eaten.  This particular meal had a hint lemon flavor (probably because I used lemon juice huh?).  I have to rate this meal a 5 out of 5 forks because after it is scallops and how can you go wrong with that.  I should mention the linguine from Trader Joe's was good too.  The basil flavor really came through the linguine and I could also taste a hint of garlic.  I would definitely use it again and I will probably use it in other meals as well.

Scallops and Linguine in White Wine Sauce
Ingredients
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound fresh scallops
8 oz. Linguine Pasta
2 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup White Wine
1 fresh lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese

Instructions
Bring to as boil salted water and add linguine and cook until al dente, tender-firm.

Preheat skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Meanwhile dry off scallops and salt and pepper. Add scallops to skillet and cook for 2 minutes or until browned. Turn over and cook for 2 more minutes until cooked through being careful to not over cook. Use ½ of lemon over scallops and remove from pan.

Add white wine and deglaze pan, reduce for about 1 minute and add other half of lemon juice.

Start with linguine on plate, add scallops, pour reduced white wine from skillet over scallops and garnish with parmesan cheese.

No comments: