Friday, November 21, 2008

Chipotle Shrimp

I love chinese food and even though I will probably never master the art of cooking chinese food it doesn't mean I can't try. You can cook chinese food in a regular frying pan but for some reason it just isn't the same as cooking it in a wok. I have a wok already but to be honest it is one of those tephlon coated cheap models. For the last couple of years I have been looking for a real wok, a cast iron wok. I have been told the cast iron woks will make all the difference in the world when it comes to chinese cooking.

Whenever I found a cast iron wok it usually had a round bottom on it to be used on gas cooking stoves. Now imagine my pleasure last weekend when I did a search for cast iron woks and up pops a Lodge cast iron wok, not only a Lodge cast iron wok but a Lodge cast iron wok with a flat bottom to use on electric stoves. Yippee ky yay. It took me about 5 seconds to talk it over with the wife and I had it ordered.

Fast forward to Thursday and while I am home eating lunch the UPS driver shows up with this.

Photobucket

Another yippee ky yay. Isn't that just a thing of beauty? Fourteen pounds worth of beauty. These preseasoned Pro Logic cast iron pots and pans are just the cats meow from Lodge. I like them because I can take them out of the box, wash them, and use them right away. No more seasoning the pans myself and stinking up the whole house for a day.

Of course I needed to use it right away so tonight I decided to try and make Mongolian Shrimp. The only problem was the store didn't cooperate with me so I was stuck with making up my own recipe tonight with ingredients I already had. It turned out ok in the end. I think I will call it Jock's Chipolte Shrimp.

This is what it looked like in the wok just before it was finished.

Photobucket

And this is what it looked like on my plate just before I devoured it.

Photobucket

Tomorrow I think I will go to Fond Du Lac and see if I can find the ingredients so I can make Mongolian Shrimp.

Stay tuned.

Jock’s Chipotle Shrimp

½ pound shrimp (or ½ pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into cubes)
Emeril’s Essence

Sauce mixture:
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp chipotle sauce
2 clove garlic, minced


6 green onions cut into 1-inch lengths
1 small to medium yellow onion, sliced
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp peanut oil cooking.

Combine sauce ingredients separately

Heat wok and add oil. Sprinkle the shrimp with Essence.
When wok is hot add the shrimp.
Cook stirring constantly for about 2 minutes or until the shrimp are done.
Remove the shrimp. Add the yellow onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the sauce mixture and let it reduce over high heat for 1 minute.
Add the cornstarch/water mixture and cook until the sauce is the right
consistency. Add the green onions, cook for 1 minute and add the shrimp
back in and cook for another 1 minute.

Serve over rice.

1 comment:

carriegel said...

can you lift that thing?

i am definately going to be trying this one. i love stir fries.