Saturday, November 22, 2008

Turtle Pumpkin Pie

I don't bake and I don't even pretend to bake so when desserts show up on this blog you can bet I probably didn't make it. I will take credit for the pictures but not the desserts.

I was scanning through the wife's Taste of Home magazine the other day when I came across a different way to make pumpkin pie. I thought it looked pretty good so I said to the wife "Hey where ya at? I found something you should make for me." She asked me "Why don't you make it?" So I replied "I don't bake, you do and I can use it for my new blog." I finally talked her into it and last weekend she made what is called Turtle Pumpkin Pie.

Photobucket

I got to tell you I can't really explain or describe what is really going on here because remember I don't bake. Hopefully the photos will help.

Let's first introduce the cast of characters.

Photobucket

Sure looks like a simple cast but if you want a complete list the recipe will be at the bottom of this post.

Next she had to start with a crust.

Photobucket

Even though the recipe at the bottom says to use a store bought one she made her own. At least I think she made her own like I said this baking is like a foreign language to me.

Now it's time to line the crust with some kind of nut. Pretty technical eh? Like I said read the recipe at the bottom for more or accurate information.

Photobucket

Once the pie crust is ready she makes the best part of the pie the filling.

Photobucket

Here is an action shot.

Photobucket

You don't see a lot of action shots in the kitchen and maybe the above photo explains why. Not real exciting.

Next she spreads the pie filling around the crust while I lick the whisk from the mixer and scrap out the what I can out of the mixing bowl to eat.

Photobucket

Sure is starting to look good but it's not finished yet. Next it goes into the ice box for awhile and then she adds the cool whip, caramel and nuts to the top to finish the pie.

Photobucket

Now it is really looking good, time to cut a piece of pie and check it out.

Photobucket

Here is where the problem starts, not with the pie per say because it just might be the best pumpkin pie I ever ate, but trying to get a good photograph of just one piece of pie. I think we tried for three different nights and this was the best we could come up with. I'm not sure what to do to make it look like the one in the magazine but I will figure it out in time.

Photobucket

Nope that photo just doesn't do the pie justice.

Turtle Pumpkin Pie
(From Kraft Foods advertisement in Taste of Home October and November 2008)

¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp caramel ice cream topping, divided
1 Honey Maid Graham Pie Crust
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp Planters Pecan Pieces, divided
1 cup cold milk
2 pkg. (3.4 oz. each) JELL-O Instant Pudding
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed, divided

Pour ¼ cup caramel topping into crust; sprinkle with ½ cup pecans

Beat milk, pudding mixes, pumpkin and spices with whisk until blended. Stir in 1-1/2 cups Cool Whip. Spread onto crust.

Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Top with remaining Cool Whip, caramel topping and pecans just before serving.

2 comments:

carriegel said...

you can't go wrong with pumpkin.

Unknown said...

It was good, real good.