Friday, November 14, 2008

Grilled Salmon

If you haven't noticed by now every Sunday the wife and I try to fix ourselves a tasty meal and today was no exception with grilled salmon with lime butter, grilled asparagus with sesame, lime butter, jasmine rice and key lime pie (made with regular limes because we couldn't find key limes.)
Photobucket
As you can see from the above photo things I cook on the grill don't always work out right. When I flipped the salmon over the lower right corner stuck to the grill and I lost some of those beautiful grill marks.

The salmon with the lime butter was good with a overall rating of 3.5 forks out of 5. The only reason I don't grade it higher is I think I can do better. The salmon was cooked almost perfectly but I think I can come up with better flavors with the salmon. I think if I add some hardwood to the fire next time this will also improve the salmon. Normally I would do this but I wasn't sure how much smoke the salmon would absorb.
Photobucket
The asparagus was good too, it had the good ole grilled flavor. I mixed up some lime butter with orange juice, sesame seeds, and sesame oil. The asparagus really soaked in the lime flavor and ended up being quite tasty with just a hint of sesame flavor too. I will give it a 3 out of 5 forks only because the asparagus was not as favorable as the stuff ma used to grow out at the house. If I could get fresh asparagus (I mean picked that day) I am sure the rating would go up. This asparagus was fresh, organic kind we bought from Whole Foods on Saturday but still not the same.

As far as the jasmine rice is concerned, well it is jasmine rice, simply the best rice for cooking with and using as a bed for anything you cook.

The key lime pie is hard for me to rate since it is the first key lime pie I have ever had. It was tart, maybe a touch to tart for me, but it was good. The wife and I discussed it and decided the next time she makes it she will cut down on the amount of lime zest she puts in to it. If I was to rank it it would have to fall somewhere between mincemeat (being the worst) and rhubarb (being the best). I will give it a 3.5 compared to all other pies.

All in all a good Sunday meal, something different for us since I don't cook fish as much as I should. It is hard to find good fish locally around here. The salmon came from Whole Foods too and that is 50 miles away in Milwaukee.

If anyone wants recipes let me know and I will give them to you. The salmon recipe came from the free loading Deen boys (Paula's sons), the asparagus came from Paula Deen herself, the jasmine rice came from the back of the container, and the key lime pie came from big sis who got it from the Barefoot Contessa.

No comments: