Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sauteed Beef Tip with Shiitake Mushrooms


This past weekend as I was cruising through the Food Network web site looking for Sunday Dinner ideas I came across this little ditty.  My first thought was this looks quick and easy and something I could easily do on a weeknight.  Of course it didn't hurt my man Emeril was the author of the original recipe. 

I made some minor changes like substituting yellow onions for the shallots and instead of veal stock I used beef broth, in both cases it is what I had on hand and I wanted to use it up.  I also added the rice, which I cooked in beef broth, to lay the beef tips on.  You could also use noddles if you choose.

Overall I would rate it 4 out of 5 forks.  My only complaint was the cream taste was stronger than I like, I think next time I will use half and half and that should take care of the heavy cream taste. 

Sauteed Beef Tips with Shiitakes Mushrooms

(Printable Recipe)
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse and the Food Network

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound beef sirloin tip, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup sliced Shiitake mushroom caps
1 medium yellow onion sliced
1 cup cleaned spinach leaves
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper
Chopped green onion for garnish
Cooked rice

Directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Season the beef with salt and pepper, then sear it in the hot oil, making sure to brown it on all sides. Add the mushrooms and onions, toss, and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the wine and reduce 1 minute. Add the spinach and stock, reduce for 2 minutes. Add cream, butter, and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with green onions.

Serve over rice.

2 comments:

carriegel said...

I can't keep up with all of these recipes!

Unknown said...

I have one more setting in the memory banks of my computer to post yet. I'm on a roll right now.