Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jock's Roasted Corn Chowder


Every year I make a pot full of corn chowder.  I am a little late this year because I normally make corn chowder while corn on the cob is still fresh.  I can find corn on the cob all year round these days but its still not as good as late summer or early fall.  When I first made corn chowder I used frozen corn and there is nothing wrong with that, but for the last few years since corn is available on the cob I use that instead.  One reason I like to use corn still on the cob is I can roast the corn giving it a sweeter flavor.  Last year I roasted the corn on my charcoal grill but this year since I don't have my grill I roasted the corn in the oven.  It's still good from the oven but not near as good as when it comes off the grill.

First things first and we must introduce the cast of characters....

I do have one new member to this years cast and that is cheddar cheese.  I found a chowder recipe recently that used cheddar cheese and thought I might give it ago this year.  Other than that it's a pretty standard cast for corn chowder. 

Everyone has their favorite way to make corn chowder and so do I.  I like my thick, the thicker the better.  I also like lots of potatoes in mine.  I use russet potatoes because after they cook they start to break down and make the soup even thicker, just be careful because you will end up with mash potatoes if you aren't careful.  Some people like their chowder thinner and if that's you I suggest to cut back on the butter/oil, flour and use either red potatoes or yukon golds, they hold up better to the cooking process.


You can also make corn chowder by replacing the milk with chicken broth and then using a pint of cream or half and half at the end of cooking.  That will give you a little lighter chowder but still pretty flavorful.  What this all comes down to is it is your chowder make it as you please.

You can also change this to a vegetarian dish by omitting the bacon but in my opinion all good things start with bacon.  Where would we be without bacon?

The best thing about corn chowder?  It is one of those one dish meals and that's never a bad thing.

When all is said and done this is a good, hearty, thick corn chowder.  The sweetness of the corn is enhanced by roasting the corn first.  I could tell something was different with this corn chowder too, probably the cheddar cheese I added.  I think next time I will add more bacon to get more of a smoky flavor, which is never a bad thing either. 

The second best thing about corn chowder?  Leftovers later this week, never a bad thing.


Jock's Roasted Corn Chowder
Ingredients
1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup of olive oil or bacon drippings
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups milk
4 large ears of corn on the cob
4 large baking potatoes, peeled an cubed (about 4 cups)
1 leek, cleaned and sliced, white part only
3 cloves garlic. minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 -1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus more for seasoning

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap corn in tin foil and roast in oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and after cooled cut corn from the cob and set aside for later.

In a large dutch oven cook bacon until browned, remove bacon and set aside for later. Add butter, oil. leeks, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook garlic and leeks for 5 minutes. Add flour and stir until smooth light blonde color. Gradually add milk and stir until thickened. Add potatoes and simmer for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and bacon (reserve some for garnishing) and stir until cheese is melted. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and garnish with remaining bacon.

2 comments:

carriegel said...

That does look good. I bookmarked it.

Anonymous said...

I love corn chowder.