Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ice Cream with Cranberry Syrup


We all have vices and bad habits we would like to break and I am no exception.  Years ago I thought I drank to much soda with caffeine so I swore off caffeine for a few months and 18 years later and I still haven't had a sip of caffeine.  12 years ago I went a step further and swore off all kinds of soda and haven't had a sip since.  But there is one food item I can't quit and never will, ice cream.  I'll admit my weakness, I love the stuff, if I am ever on death row you can bet it will be part of my last meal if not the entire meal. 

I like just about any type, cookies and cream, cookie dough, moose tracks, I could go on and on, but my favorite overall is probably plain old vanilla ice cream.  You can do so many different things with vanilla ice cream, eat it plain or cover it with toppings.  Everyone has their favorite toppings, chocolate, carmel, nuts, and fruit  but I think my favorite all time topping is maple syrup.  Yep just maple syrup, simple. 

If you remember a few days ago I posted cranberry pancakes with cranberry maple syrup that I made.  Now here is an idea, how would that syrup go on some of that good Alden's Ice Cream we have?  Well I didn't really know but I knew I was going to find out.  It doesn't get much easier to make, start with some vanilla ice cream and top with the cranberry maple syrup and enjoy.
Turns out to be some pretty good stuff.  A while back the wife made some cranberry jam and now I know what I can use it on, along with some maple syrup of course.  That's one habit I will never break.

4 comments:

carriegel said...

I gave up Mt Dew four years ago and haven't had a sip since. I miss it.

megawatt miler said...

i just dont get all this cranberry business

Anonymous said...

I miss diet coke too. tried drinking a caffeine free soda the other day and can say it wasn't worth it.

maple syrup and ice cream. let's just say one of these things doesn't belong with the other -- not even if you put cranberries in it.

Unknown said...

I miss Mt Dew on a hot summer day but not any other time of year.

Cranberries are done, for this year.

Maple syrup is my favorite topping for vanilla ice cream. Haven't you ever had maple flavored ice cream? There are different types out there.