Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Simple Tomato Sauce

As promised the other night after showing everybody the lazy persons version for making spaghetti and meatballs I thought I should show you how I make spaghetti sauce or as some people (Italians) say Red Sauce. This recipe comes from Giada Delaurentis and is so simple that even a slow, middle aged white man like myself can make it.

Let's start with the cast of characters.

Photobucket

Pretty simple don't you think? Like I said simple and something that can be done in just a little bit of time.

First things first and cut up veggies we must.

Photobucket

Garlic to the left of me and onions, celery and carrots to the right. That was the hard part.

Start with the garlic and onions simmering away in some olive oil.

Photobucket

Next add the celery and carrots and let cook for a few more minutes. I should add I don't really worry about the size of the veggies because they are going to end up in the food processor anyway.

Photobucket

Can you keep up because if you can't I can slow down. I know this is getting pretty complicated.

Add the crushed tomatoes and seasonings. If you notice in Giada's recipe she used nutmeg in her tomato sauce. I don't use nutmeg I use anise seed in mine. The anise gives it a bit of a licorice flavor which I like. I suggest you do whatever floats your boat.

Photobucket

And stir everything together and let simmer away on the stove for about and hour or so.

Now is the fun part where we get to use the power equipment, the food processor.

Photobucket

Process until smooooth.

Photobucket

Looks good and this will last me for about 6 months in the freezer. There are many, many ways to use this sauce and in the next few weeks we will explore some of the ways I use it.

Mario Batali has a good recipe for basic red sauce if you are interested too. His is real simple and takes no time at all to make. If you are interested go to the Food Network site and do a search and I'm sure you will come up with it. Below I have provided Giada's recipe.

Simple Tomato Sauce:

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional

In a large casserole pot or Dutch over, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.

Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.

If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_993...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

fennel seed, brother. that's a must!

Unknown said...

Fennel seed is good anise seed is better.

carriegel said...

another recipe added to my ever growing list. i am now making my own chicken stock because of you.

Unknown said...

Homemade chicken stock is easy, good, and not loaded with all the sodium like the ones you find in the store.