Sunday, August 12, 2012

Prime Rib and Did that Chunk of Meat Just Talk to Me?

I've been gone for a couple of weeks due to a trip back to Michigan and after we got back I didn't feel like cooking until the weekend rolled around.  Once the weekend rolled around the big question was "What to cook?"  This morning, during breakfast and my weekly two eggs over easy and toast, I pulled out one of my Weber cookbooks and started scouring through recipes trying to develop ideas.  The pork wasn't tripping my trigger and the wife doesn't like lamb so I turned to the beef section.  Beef, yeah sounds good to me and it's been awhile since we had any beef.  After looking through the recipes I settled on a beef tenderloin recipe, it sure looks good, time to head for the store.  

The first store I went too I wasn't happy with the beef selection at all so it's off to the next store.  Once I get to the next store I head to the back where the meat case is located.  I always go past the display case where the in store butcher is behind the counter to check out the steaks.  This particular store always has a good looking meat display and sometimes they have good sales, this week was no exception.  The prime rib roast was on sale this week and it was talking to me.  (The great thing about the prime rib roast, even though it can be pricey to purchase, is I can get 3 different meals out of one roast, prime rib (obviously), Mongolian Beef later in the week and maybe my favorite Philly Cheese Steaks.)  Of course I answered the rib roast and told it "I'll be back if the beef tenderloin thing doesn't work out."   Somehow I knew I would be lured back to that rib roast.

I headed over to the other meat display case, where there isn't a butcher to help, and found the tenderloin.  The tenderloin was talking too but I didn't like what I was hearing.  All they had were large tenderloins and they were anywhere from $80 to $100.  Ah, I don't think so, can't spend that for an afternoon of grilling.  By now, as you may have already guessed, the rib roast is yelling loud an clear, "COME BACK, COME BACK!"  I did go back and bought a 4-1/2 pound rib roast and proceeded to change my afternoon plans.  

When it comes to beef, especially rib roast, I like to keep it simple.  If the meat is good quality the flavor will come out with little coaxing.  This is a big chunk of meat and as soon as I get home I want to season it.    The first thing I do is cover the entire hunk of meat with olive oil to help the seasonings adhere.  Liberally, I sprinkle coarse seas salt, fresh ground pepper and granulated garlic and wrap it will plastic wrap and put it in the frig for a few hours.  
 An hour before loading this big boy on the grill I take it out of the frig so it can come up to room temperature.  During this hour I take the time to get the grill ready.  Normally, I use the smoker to cook a rib roast but since I bought a rotisserie this spring I decided to roast this bad boy.  I got the charcoal going and threw in a couple of chunks of hickory wood for some smokey flavor.
 I let this roast spin for 1-1/2 hours at 400 degrees F until I had an internal temperature of 125 degrees F, a good medium rare for me.  One thing to remember, with any large piece of meat, is it will continue to cook after it is removed from the heat.  I didn't measure the internal temperature after I let the roast rest for 15-20 minutes but I would guess it was someplace in the low 130 degree F. range.  
 
Mmm, good stuff right there.  Crispy exterior loaded with flavor from the seasoning.  Smoky hickory wood flavor but not too strong, just the way I like it.  This roast was loaded with flavor and I can't wait until later in the week when I get to make philly cheese steaks with the leftovers.  

The next time you walk by the meat display case listen closely, you never know what might be talking to you.


No comments: