Monday, July 16, 2012

Spinning and Roasting Pineapple While Keeping OSHA Out of the Backyard


I'm always looking for something a little different for the grill and also look for ideas for my rotisserie so when little sis posted a spit roasted pineapple recipe on Facebook I perked up. Now mind you, not just grilled pineapple but grilled pineapple on a rotisserie, don't get much better than that.  

I've grilled pineapple before but always as spears or cut up in rounds mainly because I didn't own a rotisserie at the time.  All the pineapple I've grilled have been good but the use of a rotisserie took the pineapple to a whole new level.  

To properly roast a pineapple we first must start with fresh pineapple, available at most grocery stores.  Fresh pineapples normally are pretty east to spot, due to their size and rather large greens on top.  This pineapple could be a little riper but it was the best I could find at the store this week.  

It's not hard to cut up a pineapple if you follow a few simple rules with rule number one being don't cut towards yourself, isn't that right John?  If I keep him around I'll have OSHA camped out in my back yard writing safety violations.  Follow the link I provided and it will explain how to cut up a pineapple better than I ever could.  

Once the pineapple is ready for the spit it's a matter of pushing the spit through the pineapple, being careful not to push the spit through the pineapple and your hand or you'll end up like John again, with a bandage around your hand.  After the pineapple is on the spit, and no extra holes in your body, it's time to assemble the cast of characters.  It's a simple cast starting with:

  • 3 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 Cup sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
  • 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 Teaspoon ground cloves
Mix the sugar, cinnamon and cloves.

Now it's time to fire up the grill and get it hot.  My grill had cooled off a bit since I used it to cook dinner that night so it took about an hour to roast the pineapple at 350 degrees.  The butter is basted on throughout the roasting time with the sugar mixture applied at the same time.
 It makes me drool just to look at the photo.  Like the wife said "What's not to like?  You got butter, sugar, cinnamon and cloves."

The last decision to be made is how to serve it.  The original recipe gives good options with one being with whipped cream.
No doubt that's a good option but my favorite, vanilla ice cream.
 That's hard to beat in my world.

Regardless what you choose, roasted pineapple on the rotisserie is hard to beat, simple and delicious, let's give it a 5 out of 5 forks.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sister and I learned how to pick a good pineapple while in CR last winter. Only problem I see with the picture of yours above -- not golden enough. The eyes are big and it doesn't look dried out, but I think you missed it on color.

Unknown said...

I knew it wasn't ripe enough but it was the best they had that day but it was better than I thought it was going to be.

Bologna said...

I can be your safety consultant. Put the pineapple in a vice.

Looks great and I'd choose the ice cream, too. I like the way it looks as a cross sectional slice with the roasted outside. And pineapple/vanilla is something I wouldn't normally think of... I like this one!